This position is located within the Digital Experiences unit of the Public Engagement and Education Department under the Management and Public Programs Directorate at the National Air and Space Museum.
- Create and maintain the visual look and user interfaces for the Museum’s digital initiatives and platforms (website, mobile apps, social media, interactives, etc).
- Create new visual designs to fulfill a variety of audience engagement strategies and goals, ensuring information is easy to understand, presents a consistent visual identity for the museum.
- Combine visual design, content, layout, and interactivity to create engaging and highly usable experiences for target audiences on a variety of platforms.
- Use design software, frameworks, and scripting languages to create and iterate new designs for a variety of projects and initiatives, including but not limited to website, mobile, social media, interactives, print or digital graphics, logos, and advertisements.
- Work with cross-functional teams and oversee the completion of design projects from start to finish.
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- Complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
Experience: You qualify for this position if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level in the Federal Service or comparable pay band system. For this position specialized experience is defined as experience in graphic design, user interface design and visual communications. Also, developing custom graphic and visual designs for digital platforms, using frameworks, custom scripting, creating storyboards, wireframer, userflows, prototypes, and overseeing the completion of design projects from start to finish.
All applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail
2. Customer Service
3. Oral Communication
4. Problem Solving
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree related to the position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements.
Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications; for example, a half year of experience and a half year of graduate education beyond the first year in the field may be qualifying.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.