Under the direction of the Network Operations Manager, the Network Administrator provides day-to-day administrative and engineering support to all departments with respect to computer hardware and network systems. The Network Administrator functions as the primary technical lead in the administering, configuring, monitoring and troubleshooting critical network resources and systems for MTS business and network operations. The Network Administrator also implements network and application security, maintains computing environments by identifying network requirements, installing upgrades and monitoring network performance. This position ensures system integrity through routine preventative maintenance procedures for network systems. Essential duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Knowledge of Local Area Networks, Wide Area Networks, Firewalls, Cisco Switches and Routers and other systems, including but not limited to phone system, smartphones and other IT-related equipment.
• Establishes network specifications by conferring with users; analyzes workflow, access, information and security requirements; designs router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols.
• Establishes network by evaluating network performance issues including availability, utilization, throughput and latency; plans and executes the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of equipment; defines network policies and procedures; establishes connections and firewalls.
• Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis and performance tuning; troubleshoots network problems; escalates problems to vendor if needed.
• Provides recommendations to the Network Operations Manager for proposed systems and the development of monitoring high availability solutions.
• Assists in Disaster Recovery planning, development and implementation.
• Monitors system capacity and performance of network applications.
• Coordinates with the Network Operations Manager to determine system requirements for projects, system performance, future growth and expansions.
• Assists in the effort to develop, design and optimize current and future network requirements.
• Secures network by developing network access, monitoring, control and evaluation; maintains documentation.
• Protects the organization's value by keeping information confidential.
Duties May Include, But Are Not Limited To, The Following:
• Performs maintenance and backups of network switches, routers and appliances.
• Performs maintenance and troubleshooting network communication at station level.
• Upgrades network by conferring with vendors; developing, testing, evaluating and installing enhancements.
• Recovers data on application systems and networking hardware systems.
• Effectively and proficiently describes functionality, provides details as to product features, demonstrates, installs and answers technical questions about all system applications and products and their interaction to support the business functional areas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of or ability to learn MTS policies and regulations; ability to read, understand, and apply MTS policies, regulations and union labor contracts; ability to write letters, memoranda and reports using clear, concise and grammatically correct English; ability to speak clearly, distinctly and effectively in person-to-person or small-group situations using tact and diplomacy; ability to coordinate and initiate actions necessary to implement decisions and delegate responsibilities to appropriate personnel; ability to establish and maintain priorities in order to complete assignments by deadlines without detailed instructions; skill in verifying the accuracy and completeness of forms and reports; knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and the ability to learn and use other software that MTS might have or acquire.
• Knowledge of Network Performance Tuning.
• Experience with VPN technologies.
• Experience with Wireless Technologies.
• Knowledge of network services (DNS, DHCP, IP addressing, Routing, Switching, TCP/IP, EIGRP, SNMP, etc.).
• Knowledge of Cisco IOS devices and common commands.
• LAN Knowledge, Network Design and Implementation.
• Knowledge of enterprise monitoring software such as SolarWinds, etc.
• Strong organizational skills, problem solving, strategic planning, multi-tasking, quality focus, coordination, technical understanding and a participative style when working within a team environment.
The successful candidate must be able to fulfill the physical demands of the job such as walking, stooping, sitting, bending, reaching for overhead files and occasional lifting (must be able to lift up to 15 pounds). Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and perform tasks involving manual dexterity, such as use of a computer and 10-key. Work will at times require more than 8 hours per day or an irregular work week to perform the essential duties of the position. Duties will be performed primarily in an office type environment and may require travel to external locations and agencies.
Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or a related field. Minimum of three (3) years of experience performing Network and Systems Administration duties involving Cisco IOS based devices.
Candidates without a bachelor’s degree must have at least five (5) years of experience. Cisco training/certification is highly desired. Must possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license.